The Legacy of this Iconic Tyre Company Brand started with the discovery of Pneumatic Tyre by Scotsman John Boyd Dunlop in 1888. Entry into the tyre markets of India started in 1896 with marketing of cycle tyres into the country. Gradually the business expanded greatly with the headquarters being established at Dunlop House, Free school Street Kolkata in the year 1936. It was in the same year that the 239 acre plant of Dunlop, the first of its kind in Asia at Sahaganj Hooghly West Bengal, was set up. The plant commenced its production on this historic factory with tyres of passenger cars, cycles, and tyres of animal drawn vehicles while gradually upgrading to produce 300 varieties of tyres for trucks, buses, scooters, tractors, aircrafts, earthmovers and many more. This historical plant also proudly records testimonials of manufacturing tyres for aircrafts towards the end of the Second World War!
The height of Glory that this historical estate of Dunlop rose to can easily be derived from Managing Director Mr John Luckham’s review at the factory’s 31st Annual General Meeting held in Calcutta on 29th April 1957. To quote his notes on Employee Relations, Mr Luckham expressed, “At our Sahaganj Factory we now house, at low rents, a community of 4600 employees and their families. The standard of housing is very high and excellent medical services including a modern hospital are available to all. Canteens have been provided in which good meals are available at subsidised prices. The existing education facilities for children are now proving inadequate and a new school building is under construction. A market building is also being provided to improve shopping conditions for the residents in the Company’s housing estate. The construction of 65 additional houses, to which the Chairman referred on this occasion last year, is now well advanced and improved street lighting is being installed. All forms of sport are encouraged, for which the company provides the necessary grounds and buildings. Thus we strive to look after the welfare of our employees and extend their social amenities”.
The Company and its plant in Sahaganj, after having a successful run for nearly a century, ran into operational constraints in late nineties of the twentieth Century. Dunlop eventually had to shut down both its plants in East and South India. Efforts to re-establish the operations of the closed factory were later made however couldn’t turn the fortunes of this glorious Industrial unit to its heyday.
What Lies there now is a mute testimony to its glorious past. However, the schools started by the Dunlop Management still bustles with young children who gather there every day towards their quest of learning and growth in life ahead. This factory estate is an example of industrial heritage in the region and efforts to promote it sustainably involving the local community can prove to be illustrious.